Sunday, March 22, 2009

Stretch Armstrong & Bobbito - Freestyle Frenzy Vol.2


Stretch Armstrong - Freestyle Frenzy Vol.2

Side A
1.Serch & O.C.(Aug (94)
2.Mobb Deep (July 94)
3.Brand Nubian(Oct 94)

Side B
1.Organized Konfusion (May 93)
2.Lord Finesse (Sep 94)
3.Mad Skillz (Oct 94)
4.Scientifik (Sept 94)
5.Craig G (July 94)
6.Common Sense (Oct 94)

I got in touch with Stretch about this piece of vinyl to get some history on it and this is what he said.

"Freestyle Frenzy were a series of limited edition freestyle compilations highlighting some stellar live on air segments from my radio show on KCR. I believe it is the first of its kind, and predates a slew of future releases that captured unofficial recordings. To give you a little insight into how novel this record was, when Ghostface was in record store in Virginia, someone played for him a 12" that was a bootleg of the Meth/Ghost freestyle off of Freestyle Frenzy. When he got back to NYC, he went straight to Loud Records and was ready to flip. It was a little unpleasant because I was on Loud's payroll as a frelance A&R man. While I believe he was enjoying the drama, and making it seem worse than it was, Steve Rifkind was acting like the sky was about to fall, full of panic, certain that Saholin was about t wreck Loud's offices and cause me bodily harm. It turns out I saw Ghost later that month, and he really had very little idea what I was talking about when I tried to explain what the record was. To this day I don't know what really happened, but it was a bit controversial for a minute because no one could tell if it was a good thing for the artists or if it was a bootleg. Keep in mind this before the digital revolution."

SHOUT OUT TO STRETCH

No comments: